Friday 8 January 2010

My Sculpture Garden

.
In front of my house, I have on display some outdoor sculptures, see below. Some are done by me, but not all. The garden fence is not too tall and neighbours walking outside can see them.

Recently I arranged to paint them all sparkling white. This makes them look very nice.

In the picture of my garden below, the three from the left were done by me. The first one, done in concrete, was kept to remember my very first sculpture I did in class. The second one shows a muscular man in agony squatting over a sinking earth. The third one shows a proud male lion. Both are cast by me in fiberglass. fiberglass.

The tall sculpture on the right is a beauty, probably the only one in Singapore. It is a quality fiberglass copy of the ancient Greek marble statue 'Winged Victory' in the Louvre Museum, Paris.



In the second picture below, among the sculptures, except the two on the right, the others were not done by me. On the left is a large 3 ft diam fiberglass globe. It was designed and painted by me.



I am the designing artist of the concrete ship underneath the Winged Victory, and the concrete round stepped platforms underneath the sculptures.

Incidentally I didn't buy any of these sculptures not done by me. I got all of them free, from the local art college that I used to attend part-time.

And, about six months ago, when Google sent its Street View car with its roof-top camera to drive around Singapore, the car did come around my house. As a result, they took and publish photos of my house and my garden with these sculptures. It is a pity the photos were taken before I arranged to repaint the sculptures sparking white.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Singapore, Singapore
I was born 1940 in Hong Kong.. After my first degree there, I left for training in England and continued with further studies and research at the Imperial College, London obtaining a PhD.. Since then I came to Singapore for an academic career.. I have now retired, take on a new passion and am active as an artist, doing sculptures, installations and oil paintings.. I was sponsored twice to present solo art exhibitions in Singapore, in 2007 and 2009. You can see my art website www.onesunartist.com.. I have since reinvent myself to take up writing, self-publishing 3 books.