Friday 4 December 2009

Modern History - #10, #11, #12



Continuing on my series of oil paintings on significant events or people in modern history.

On the left, painting #10 shows the two leaders Nikita Khrushchev of the USSR and Richard Nixon of the US angrily facing each other. It depicts the all out confrontation between the two camps in the 1960s during the Cold War.

Painting #11 at the centre shows the comforting relations between the two leaders Margaret Thratcher of the UK and Ronald Reagan of the US. It depicts how they effectively advocate the free market economic system in the Western world since the 1980s.

On the right, painting #12 shows a man dramatically wielding a long hammer to try and break down the Berlin Wall separating East and West Berlin. It depicts the collapse and breakup of the Soviet Union and its satellite countries, ending the Cold War at around 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Singapore, Singapore
I was born 1940 in Hong Kong.. After my first degree there, I left for training in England and continued with further studies and research at the Imperial College, London obtaining a PhD.. Since then I came to Singapore for an academic career.. I have now retired, take on a new passion and am active as an artist, doing sculptures, installations and oil paintings.. I was sponsored twice to present solo art exhibitions in Singapore, in 2007 and 2009. You can see my art website www.onesunartist.com.. I have since reinvent myself to take up writing, self-publishing 3 books.